I achieved the result above following the next steps:
1. paint the entire nail with the polish of your choice (I used China Glaze - Grape Pop), let it dry a little;
2. put a drop of another polish of your choice on a piece of paper (I used Color Club - Wild at Heart);
3. dip a little piece of a sponge (I use a kitchen sponge) in the drop of polish;
4. press the sponge gently on your nail, begin at the nail tip and sponge toward the cuticle. Stop when you covered three quarters of the nail, you want to keep a part of the base colour unsponged;
5. repeat step 2, 3 & 4 with a third polish (I used Zoya - Mimi), stop halfway the nail to keep a part of the first sponged layer visible;
6. repeat step 2, 3 & 4 with a fourth polish (I used Orly - Out Of This World), only cover the tip (one quarter) of your nail;
And you're done! The result can be a bit bumpy, so cover the nail with a thick layer of topcoat.
*of course you don't have to use so much different polishes, even with two colours you can make a nice gradient manicure, but with more colours the result will be more.. eh.. gradient :O
Thanks for watching and good luck with the sponging! :h
You have read this article China Glaze / Color Club / how-to / Orly / purple / Zoya with the title Purple Gradient Nails. You can bookmark this page URL http://chromacraze.blogspot.com/2010/10/purple-gradient-nails.html. Thanks!